Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Greatness is Proportional to Emotion

I realized after coming here (to LA), in pursuit of my musical career that there were a couple of blocks around my heart and my head. I wasn't sure why, as I was doing all the work necessary to increase my range and to become a better singer. What I didn't realize until I conversed with my two new musical roommates and musical landlord, was that I was thinking too much about the logistics of it all. What I need to activate, in order to transcend any blocks, is my deep emotion. The work is found in identifying, processing, and letting go of the emotion of a song. One emotion, after all, is worth a thousand thoughts. People who work on and through emotions, are able to work at a higher level than they would if they were just processing linear logistical streams. 

The irony of my dilemma is this: I used to be a psychologist before I decided to go down the artistic path. Although I was doing counseling work to create a safe place for other people to let go of and express their emotions, I had to maintain a strict objective stance. Now I need to tackle this professional habit in order to grow as a performer/artist. The work I must do is found in rhythm, sincerity, and most of all diligence even when the emotion feels that it is at a standstill.


_______________________________________________________________________________


"As sCaRed, as sillY, as joyous, as shameless, as VIBRANT, as DARK, as YOU can BE! Let it pour through you RESPECTFULLY, in the name of PEACE. We uphold TRUTH! To life a life as COLORFUL as you!" - Jaclyn Shaw ("Live Your Art" Movement)

Are you LiSteNinG??  Jaclyn Shaw's Music

No comments:

Post a Comment