Monday, December 29, 2014

When did music become a cock show?

When did music become a cock show?
I went to an open mic that I'm very familiar with in Glendale today. I know it's usually a sausage party there, in other words it's mostly men. But there was a nice group of young women at a table who did a fabulous job jammin' out with jembe and  guitar. What am I getting at?

 Well the first musician that ever existed was in 3500 B.C.E., her name was Enheduanna. She was a priestess. Her purpose was to open the heart of man and channel the divine wholeness of the creator. Music was ritualistically engrained with poetry and passion- A passion to relate to the spiritual health and love of community. Music was a tool of deep expression and relating- a way to move people's spirits.
When did it become an ego contest?

What did I witness at the open mic? I witnessed a handful of men comparing notes and fraternizing about how fast and how good they play notes. It sounded a lot of technical business to me, and it was stripped of spirit. They all praised each other but not one of the men went up to the women… myself included.

When did music become such a cock contest? When they were playing all this Merry Christmas lighthearted stuff, and the girls wanted me to play again… I warned the guys that my stuff is highly emotional. A couple of men snickered and they said "oh no, not that." Well, sorry to hit you in the head with this one… But an emotion is worth 1000 thoughts, and if I could move you with emotion then maybe your spirit will feel something. Did they feel something and still not offer collaboration. I put my heart and soul into that music, and it was glorious and I felt it's glory… But I'm not sure that they did. What a bummer, maybe if I played like Invar Mansteen and opened my legs wide bouncing up-and-down like I was gyrating an object… Maybe they would feel something… Maybe the closest that they could feel something is in their sexuality, and that's why they have cock contests.

There was one man who came up to me and asked for collaboration, but it seemed pretty superficial. He stopped mid conversation with me to fraternize with an old trumpet player. The trumpet player didn't give me much love at all, but the fact that he was playing so many notes and flopping his ego around like an unbridled cock, had everybody believe that he was good. But does ego equate with goodness? I left without giving my information to the guy who wanted it… Does he really deserve it anyway? I'm learning to find people who appreciate what I do and are on my level, the spirit level. There are so few who get it, but I'm playing for them. They are the gems in the rough.

If you're reading this, and you get what I'm saying, I'm sending you love. If you're reading this, and judging the situation against me, realize that you're probably part of the problem in the way people think. Live in spirit, the ego is just a shell and it's no fun anyway.

"You living in your ego is like living as a pig in your own filth. When you are immersed in the soul, it's like swimming in a comfy blanket. Though the guys were technically good, they had no soul. Jaclyn when you sing it's like you're bearing your big soul and letting it all pour out." - Alex Cortes



_______________________________________________________________________________



"As sCaRed, as sillY, as joyous, as shameless, as VIBRANT, as DARK, as YOU can BE! Let it pour through you RESPECTFULLY, in the name of PEACE. We uphold TRUTH! To life a life as COLORFUL as you!" - Jaclyn Shaw ("Live Your Art" Movement)

Are you LiSteNinG??  Jaclyn Shaw's Music



4 comments:

  1. When TV shows like American Idol and the likes came onto the scene... now music and bands are a dime a dozen and people lose interest after a few months to a year looking for the next great thing to replace them... the whole country gone ADHD lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get that. People become really shallow in their preferences for easy melodies and they don't take much time to focus in on. Let's face it, listening takes more time than looking… So if somebody's putting on a show like they're the best thing since sliced bread, people are ready and willing to process that than they are to actually listen and process what's coming out of the person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should try hanging in the jazz world -- they HATE singers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! They are more interested in getting enough notes in to express their feeling before their measure is up.

    ReplyDelete